You can create backup of your Cognos Data Manager project using following methods.
Method 1 Create backup using Cognos Data Manager Designer.
- Start Cognos Datamanager Designer.
- Open your Project.
- In File menu select Backup Catalog ... option (Short Key Alt+F,B).
- Select your Backup file name and location and click on Save button.
- Wait for Data Manager to complete its process.
- Your *.ctg file is available at your selected location.
- You can use GUI utility to create backup of your project.
- You can configure your *.CTG file in source control to maintain version history.
- Execution history and Audit details is still present in database.
- You cannot schedule it for regular Maintenance activity.
Method 2 Create backup using database.
Your datamanager catalog is stored in some databases. You can create backup of your project by creating backup of database. For explaning the method we are assuming that Datamanager catalog is available in SQL Server Database.
Create a full backup for your database. by using below command.
BACKUP DATABASE [Staging] TO DISK = N'D:\DataManagerCatalog.bak' WITH NOFORMAT, NOINIT, NAME = N'Staging-Full Database Backup', SKIP, NOREWIND, NOUNLOAD, STATS = 10 GO
- You can schedule your backup process.
- Execution history and Audit details history also available in your database backup.
- The Backup size is increase due to continuously increasing size of log and audit tables.
Method 3 Create backup using CATBACKUP
You can use CATBACKUP.exe to create backup of your Data Manager Catalog. CATBACKUP.exe is available in
X:\Program Files\cognos\c8\bin\catbackup.exe here X is the Cognos installation directory.
Please use below command to create data manager backup. For full list of syntax please refer this article.
Before executing below code please verify below points
- Your Detination folder is available on hardisk.
"C:\Program Files\cognos\c8\bin\catbackup.exe" OLEDB "User Id=<user_name>;Password=<Password>;Database=<Catalog_Database>;Data Source=<Server_Name>;Provider=<SQL_Connection_Provider>;Integrated Security=FALSE;COGNOSSQL=FALSE" "C:\Backup\CatalogBackupFileName.ctg"
- You can schedule your backup process by creating a batch file and windows scheduler.
- It is useful when you have to create backup of multiple database.
- Execution history and Audit details is present in database and it is not backed up by using this method.
- You have to write the logic of create backup in a batch file.
Use any of the above methods which suitable.
Your comments, queries and suggestions are welcomed.