Question: How to check SQL Server Version?
Answer: You can find SQL Server Version using following methods
Method 1: Use Microsoft Explorer
- Open Microsoft Explorer (Keys: Windows + E). Navigate to X:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQLN.IN\
Here X is the drive letter where SQL Server is installed. N is SQL Server Version. And IN is instance name.
Method 2: Use Microsoft SQL Server Error Log
- Open Microsoft Explorer (Keys: Windows + E). Navigate to X:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQLN.IN\MSSQL\Log. Search for ERRORLOG (you can also open ERRORLOG.N here N is an integer value.) file look for first line. Version and SQL Server architecture is available in the first line.
Ex: Server Microsoft SQL Server 2014 - 12.0.2254.0 (X64). In this Example Version is 12.0.2254.0 and SQL Server architecture is 64 bit
Method 3: Use SQL Server Management Studio (SSMS)
- Open SQL Server Management Studio (How to open...). Connect to database server in object explorer (How to connect...). Now you are bale to check your database version at following places
- In object explorer SQL Server version is available in the name of database connection with your connected Username. Format Server_Name\instance_Name (SQL Server Version - User_Information).
- Right click on server connection (assuming you are connected on SQL Server) and select properties. All the server related information are available in General page.
- Open a new Query Editor. Connect it with database server. Go to "View" menu and select "properties windows" (Shor Key: F4)
Method 4: Using T-SQL Query - Open SQL Server Management Studio (SSMS) and open a new Query editor. Connect it with database server and execute below queries.
- Execute: "SELECT @@Version" to find out SQL Server Version information (Remove Double Quotes, while copying).
- Execute: "SELECT SERVERPROPERTY('productversion'), SERVERPROPERTY ('productlevel'), SERVERPROPERTY ('edition')" to find out your SQL Server version information (Remove Double Quotes, while copying).
Watch a video on this Click Here.
Help us to improve by providing you valuable comments and feedback, you can also submit error and new suggestion. Susbcribe to get new updates.